Production Systems Engineering (PSE) is an emerging area of Engineering intended to provide quantitative analytical methods for analysis, continuous improvement, and design of production systems. Every problem has its origin on the factory floor. Every solution obtained in PSE has been applied on the factory floor. PSE uses traditional terms, such as bottleneck, leanness, continuous improvement, etc., but infuses them with precise engineering knowledge and, thereby, offers a possibility of designing and managing production systems with the highest efficiency and guaranteed performance.
The approach of PSE is based on mathematical modeling of serial lines and assembly systems, with subsequent analyses based on recursive aggregation procedures. As a result, methods for solving the following problems are derived: Performance analysis; Bottleneck identification; Continuous improvement; Lean buffering design; Product quality; Raw material release control to ensure desired lead time. To enable applications, the PSE Toolbox, which implements the algorithms obtained in PSE, has been developed.
PSE has been applied to dozens of production systems in large, medium, and small manufacturing organizations. These include GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, MillerCoors, Kraft Foods, Kroger, Lexmark, Subzero, Cree Lighting, HellermannTyton, etc. Consistently, significant improvements in productivity, quality, and customer demand satisfaction have been obtained.
- New paper accepted for presentation at ICRA 2021New paper titled “Performance Metrics Calculation for Assembly Systems with Exponential Reliability Machines” is accepted by the IEEE ICRA 2021.Posted on April 12, 2021
- Our team won the award in the 7th SOE & SAGE Poster Competition and the ECE Grad Poster CompetitionOur research on performance metrics-based smart modeling of production systems won the first place award in the first round of 7th annual SOE & SAGE Poster Competition and the second place award in the ECE Grad Poster Competition. Congratulations!Posted on April 12, 2021
- New paper accepted for publication in IEEE TransactionsNew paper titled “Parameter Identification for Bernoulli Serial Production Line Model” is accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering. Congratulations!Posted on April 12, 2021
- New paper accepted for publication in International Journal of Production ResearchNew paper titled “A New Aggregation Algorithm for Performance Metric Calculation in Serial Production Lines with Exponential Machines: Design, Accuracy and Robustness” is accepted for publication in International Journal of Production Research. Congratulations!Posted on September 9, 2020
- New paper accepted for publication in IEEE TransactionsNew paper titled “Real-Time Bottleneck in Serial Production Lines with Bernoulli Machines: Theory and Case Study” is accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering. Congratulations!Posted on September 9, 2020
|Address:||371 Fairfield Way UNIT 4157|
Storrs, CT 06029